Rama Police Service

NON EMERGENCY: 1-888-310-1122



Lost or Found Property

All lost or found property within Rama First Nation should be reported to the Rama Police Service.

Found property is held for 90 days by the Rama Police Service while an attempt to locate and notify owners is made.

After the 90-day period has lapsed and no owner has been found, the property will be lawfully disposed of in accordance with the Police Services Act.

Some found property may be claimed by finders, when the owner cannot be identified. However certain types of property are NOT RETURNABLE, including, but not restricted to, the following:

  • prohibited weapons and drugs
  • items of identification
  • motor vehicles
  • explosive substances
  • and other articles which pose a health hazard.
    Owners have three months to collect their possessions after receiving notification from the investigating officer.

Finders may make claim between the third and fourth month following the finding. After four months unclaimed property shall be deemed forfeited and disposed of at the discretion of the Rama Police Service.
If you are interested in claiming property eligible for return, you may contact The Rama Police Service at (705)325-7773 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (with the exception of statutory holidays) or by attending our office with proper photo identification. Please have your occurrence number available when making an inquiry.

Lost Wallet or Purse

If you have lost your wallet, make sure that you cancel and replace all of your important cards.
It is a good idea to photocopy all your personal documentation and keep them in a safe place. Having photocopies available will help in the replacement process should you lose any of your identification in the future.

1. Contact Your Bank(s) or Financial Institution(s).

2. Contact Your Local Police.
Report that your wallet has been lost, in case it is turned in. Do not dial the emergency number please call the non emergency number at (705) 325-7773 or report in person at detachment at 7450 Williams Road, Rama, Ontario.  Please ensure you list all your documents contained within your wallet with all identifying numbers.

3. Cancel Other Credit Cards.

4. Replace Your Driver's Licence. For further information regarding replacement Driver's Licences please refer to the Ministry of Transportation

5. Replace Your Birth Certificate
You may obtain additional information on replacement Ontario birth certificates on line at Ontario Government 

6. Replace Your Health Card. For Further information please refer to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care

7. Replace Your Passport
As soon as you think your passport has been lost or stolen, you are required to report the circumstances of the loss or theft to the local police and to Passport Canada. For further information please contact Passport Canada 

8. Replace Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card
If your Social Insurance Number card is lost or stolen, you need to report it to the appropriate authorities to avoid identity theft.

To apply for a replacement Social Insurance Card, you must complete an application form, which is available online at Services Canada. Further information regarding Social Insurance Cards (SIN) to prevent identity theft can be found at Services Canada

What should I do if my SIN card has been lost or stolen?

If your Social Insurance Number (SIN) card has been lost or stolen, it is important to be aware that someone could try to use your Social Insurance Number.

We recommend that you follow these steps to protect your SIN:

  • Keep you SIN card in a safe location and memorize the number for future quick reference.
  • Review your bank account, credit card and other financial transaction statements. If anything concerns you, contact your financial institution.
  • Call Canada’s two national credit bureaus. Ask for a free copy of your credit report and review it for any suspicious activity. You may also wish to see if your credit file should be flagged to indicate that your personal information has been put at risk and may be vulnerable to fraud.
  • Report the theft of your SIN card to the police, if you suspect your SIN card is used fraudulently. Ask for the incident number, the officer’s name and contact number.